of Shoe Terms
Everything you always
wanted to know about shoes but didn't know who to ask!
- Patent Leather
- A well-varnished leather
typically made from cattle hide that has a shiny appearance.
- Pebbled Grain
- An embossed leather grain
finish resembling a pebble surface.
- Penny Loafer
- A slip on footwear style with
a slit over the instep; a "good luck" penny or other coin is
traditionally placed in the slit.
- A pattern of small holes
punched into the trim of a shoe for decoration or ventilation.
- A saw-tooth shaped edging on
the trim of a shoe.
- A decorative, narrow strip of
leather that usually follows the seam of a shoe; can be of
contrasting color or material.
- The angle of the back part of
the heel where it meets the sole, compared to the front.
On a high heeled shoe, the pitch should be at a larger angle to
stabilize the heel.
- Platform Shoe
- A footwear style featuring a
thick sole at the front; typically has a high heel to balance
the higher height of the sole.
- Polyurethane (PU)
- A light, flexible synthetic
material frequently used as an alternative to leather in
footwear and accessories.
- Pouch Bag
- A soft, rounded handbag
typically featuring a drawstring closure; especially popular for
bridal and evening wear.
- The inward rotation of the
foot as it strikes the ground, causing shoe wear on the inner
side of the outsole.
- A low-cut, closed women's
shoe style in all heel heights from flat to sky high.
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
- A semi-rigid plastic,
typically used in heel counters and outsoles for extra support.
- The rear portion of a shoe,
covering the heel and sides of the back, and often joined by a
- Quarter Lining
- A leather or fabric material
lining the inside rear part of a shoe.
- The part of the shoe where
the foot enters, also known as the topline or collar.
- Saddle Oxford
- An oxford style shoe
featuring a contrasting-color strip of fabric across the vamp,
- Safety Shoe
- Footwear constructed for use
in an industrial setting, often designed with safety features
such as steel-toe reinforcement and water and oil proof
- A simple footwear
construction consisting of a footbed, heel, and strips of leather or
- Satchel Bag
- A structured handbag with a
wide, flat bottom, locking hardware, and double handles.
- Shaft Height
- The measurement of the shaft
of a boot taken from the inside seam where the instep and sole
meet to the top of the boot shaft.
- Sheepskin or lambskin with
the wool still attached, often used as a warm lining for boots
and slippers. Also used decoratively.
- Shoe Horn
- A curved metal of synthetic
tool used to aid in slipping the foot into a shoe.
- Shoe Sizes
- Uniform increments of one
sixth inch between half and full sizes, based on a decree by
King Edward of England in 1324.
- Side Leather
- Leather from the sides of
cattle, divided by the backbone.
- A slippery polymeric material
used in waterproofing.
- A razor pattern cut in the
outsoles of deck shoes to help prevent slipping and disperse
- A footwear style featuring an
open back and open toe, with leather, synthetics, or fabric across the front
of the foot.
- A shoe held to the foot by a
strap across the back, usually adjusted by a buckle or
elasticized for secure fit.
- A footwear construction
designed to be slipped onto the foot with no further adjustment.
- Rough, scaly textured leather
crafted from the skin of snakes.
- Sock Liner
- The insole inside of a shoe
that the foot rest on.
- The bottom part of a shoe,
not including the heel.
- Sole Leather
- A heavy, cattle hide leather
used for the soles of shoes.
- Split Leather
- A soft, suede like leather
that is made from the lower layers of a hide that have been slip
away from the upper.
- Straight Last
- A last used to create a very
straight shoe for the purpose of preventing severe pronation.
- Leather that has been abraded
to create a nappy, soft surface.
- The outward rolling of the
foot while walking, in contrast to overpronation.
- Synthetic Materials
- Materials other than genuine
leather that are designed to look and function like leather.
Thank you for
shopping at Evening Shoes.com!