of Shoe Terms
Everything you always
wanted to know about shoes but didn't know who to ask!
The plastic sheath at the end of a shoelace that makes
the lace easier to thread through the eyelet holes of the shoe,
- Alligator Skin
- A reptile hide featuring a
wide, boxed print.
- Ankle Strap
- A strap attached at the rear
of the shoe that encircles the ankle. Usually features an
adjustable buckle, tie, or elastic.
- A type of leather finish that
creates a contrasting, rubbed-off appearance.
- Approach Shoe
- A grip-soled athletic shoe
meant to aid rock climbers on the path to and from the climbing
- The high, curved part of the
sole of the foot, located between the ball of the foot and the
heel. This term can also refer to the raised area of the
insole of a shoe, which is meant to pad and provide support for
the arch of the foot.
- Athleisure Shoe
- Athletic-inspired, trendy
footwear meant for casual, urban wear - not recommended for
- Athletic Shoe
- Athletic footwear meant for
performance of a specific sport, such as basketball,
crosstraining, golf, hiking, etc.
- The vertical
seam at the center of the back of a shoe or boot.
- The padded area of the foot
between the big toe and the arch of the foot.
- Ballerina Flat
- A flat-heeled shoe designed
to resemble traditional ballet shoes, but constructed for
everyday or dress wear.
- Balmoral Shoe
- A shoe construction featuring
a laced "V" shaped panel across the foot; most common in mens
- Bellows Tongue
- A shoe tongue that is
attached at both the top and the sides of the shoe, rather than
only at the top.
- A shoe construction featuring
two side flaps of material that are joined across the foot with
- A style of footwear extending
to the height of the anklebone and above. May extend as
high as the thigh.
- An enclosed shoe rising just
below the anklebone.
- Brannock Device
- A device used to measure the
length and width of the foot in order to determine standardized
- The natural crease created
across the vamp of the shoe from everyday wear.
- A heavy, oxford-style shoe
featuring pinking and perforated detailing.
- A painful swelling at the
base of the big toe, frequently leading to permanent enlargement
of the toe joint, generally heriditary. May be corrected
- The process of buffing a shoe
surface to achieve an antiquing effect to the leather.
- Very supple,
soft leather created from the skins of very young cows.
- Rough, firm patches of skin
the develop from overuse or irritation; can be softened with
soaking and pumice.
- Cap Toe
- An additional piece of
leather covering the tip of a shoe; can be in contrasting
material or color.
- Carpet Bag
- Roomy handbag originally made
from carpet, featuring one large compartment and double handles.
- Cemented Construction
- A construction
designed to produce a lighter, more flexible shoe by cementing
rather than stitching the shoe upper to the sole.
- Chukka boot
- A laced,
ankle-high boot with a plain round toe.
- The measurement around the
shaft of a boot taken at the widest part near the top of the
- A closed toe,
open back footwear style with a platform sole, traditionally
made of wood.
- A narrow, handheld handbag
with no straps.
- A strip of material stitched
to the opening of a shoe at the topline; can be padded for extra
- Contoured Footbed
- An insole that molds to the
shape of the foot; also known as an orthotic footbed.
- A small, hard formation
usually found on the toe, caused by friction or pressure in one
- A stiff piece of material
placed at the heel of a shoe between the lining and upper to
help retain the shape of the shoe.
- A process to prepare animal
hides for tannning by applying chemicals.
- A footwear style featuring
one or both sides cut out.
- Drawstring Bag
- Any handbag with a drawstring
closure, rather than a zipper or latch.
- Applying polish or gloss to a
shoe to maintain its finish.
- Duty Shoe
- Footwear designed for use by
health care and service professionals.
- Embossed Leather
- A design imprinted onto
leather to simulate exotic animal skins, random patterns, or
- Envelope Bag
- As its name suggests, a slim
handbag resembling an envelope; may be a clutch, or have straps.
- A shoe or sandal with a woven
rope covering a wedge heel and sole.
- A hole through which a lace
is threaded; may be reinforced with a grommet or metal ring.
Thank you for
shopping at Evening Shoes.com!